Dessert time ft. Almond Bark Tofutti and my sister’s chocolate mud cake, made from packet mix bought at The Green Edge.
- 4 tbsp self raising flour
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy or oat milk
- 2 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- Combine all ingredients in a large mug. (It actually tastes even more delicious raw).
- Microwave for 40 to 60 seconds. Keep an eye on it as it may overflow! If this happens it’s probably ready enough to take out.
- Serve with frozen or fresh raspberries, strawberries and vanilla so good ice cream!
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Jam and Coconut Icing
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cocoa powder
- 1 cup plain flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda (bicarb)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Whisk together soy milk and vinegar, set aside to curdle for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and powder, and salt.
- Add the sugar, vanilla essence and oil to the soy milk mixture, whisk until foamy.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet in two batches and whisk. You don’t want any big lumps but a few small are okay. It should look like melted chocolate.
- Pour mixture into cup cake liners until 3/4 full (they will rise).
- Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, but check them at 15 as ovens may vary. When a skewer stuck in the centre of a cake comes out clean, they are cooked even if they appear a little soft. This just means they will be super moist and soft.
- 1 cup nuttelex
- 3.5 cups icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp strawberry jam
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Beat or mix nuttlex until fluffy.
- Beat or mix through icing sugar until combined, soft and light.
- Add vanilla essence, jam and coconut. Mix gently until well combined.
‘Giant Cake’ (vanilla, caramel and coconut sponge cake) from The Green Edge, $6.
Expensive, but so so so delicious.
Chocolate covered marshmallow bar with raw macadamia and coconut ice cream.
Orange and goji berry raw cheesecake with walnut and date base. (This was the most incredible, scrumptious, divine thing I have ever consumed. EVER.)
Banana, cinnamon and walnut cake.
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
3/4 cup soy milk
1 cup brown sugar
4 slightly overripe, large mashed bananas
1/8 cup canola oil
1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- Sift flours into large bowl and add baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Make a hole.
- Mash bananas in another bowl and add sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, salt and oil.
- Whisk apple cider vinegar and soy milk in a separate cup or bowl and let it curdle for a few minutes.
- Chop walnuts.
- Pour banana mixture and soy milk into the flours and blend in.
- Then add the walnuts.
- Pour final mixture into a greased cake tin.
- Bake at 180C for an hour or until skewer comes out clean.
- Cover with icing or simply serve warm with a smear of nuttelex.
- (The icing I made is simply nuttelex, icing sugar and organic vanilla essence)
Obviously making one from scratch would be nicer but yeh, this packet mix is totally veganisable. Just use rice/soy milk and nuttelex instead of dairy.
Vegan platter from Ahmets Turkish Restaurant, Southbank. This is not actually on the menu, so you just have to ask for the vegetarian platter to be veganised.
Cake from The Green Edge, Enoggera.
Super delicious vegan chocolate mousse cheesecake! If you live in Brisbane you can order one from The Green Edge (they also have a facebook page) in Enoggera, or just go in for a slice. They have many different types, including an extensive range of raw vegan cakes (they sound absolutely scrumptious), which you can preorder. They are also going to have fruit smoothies and milkshakes from this Saturday! This is my favourite shop ever. Seriously, if you are a Brisbanite you must check it out.
Vegan cheesecake from Green Edge! My sister and I just popped over the road and got these beauties. There was a facebook promotion where the first person who mentioned it today got one slice freeeeee. WE GOT IT.