Last Night’s Dinner
- Roasted Banana Capsicum
- Black Russian & Purple Cherokee Tomato Slices
- Rocket, Avocado, Beetroot, Mint and Pomegranate Salad
- Swiss Brown Mushroom Pan Fried with Nuttelex, Garlic, Salt and Lemon
- Pan Fried ‘Cheezy’ Polenta with Hummus and Smokey Tomato and Chilli Chutney
Potato & Leek Soup with Rosemary & Thyme
- 3 leeks, sliced into thin scallions
- 2-3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and roughly cubed
- 1 brown onion (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 2L water
- pinch salt & pepper
- rosemary and thyme (set some aside for garnish)
- Fry off onion, garlic and leek until soft and transparent.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer with a lid on until potatoes are soft and falling apart.
- Remove from heat.
- Roughly mash potatoes/soup until at desired consistency.
- Serve with garlic + nuttelex toast, and a fresh herb garnish.
Fundies Wholefood Cafe
219 Given Terrace
- Toasted sour dough with wilted spinach, roasted tomatoes and scrambled tofu $16
Vegan and Vegetarian Eatery
Fortitude Valley (Shop 8, 115 Wickham Street)
- Malaysian ‘Lamb’ Curry Box
- Stir Fry Vege Chicken in 3 Cup Sauce (Chili, Ginger & Basil)
- Sanitarium Vege Roast
- Baked Eggplant Chips & Hummus
- Roast Pumpkin with Dukkah
- Raw Broccoli, Rocket, Tomato, Walnut, Beetroot, Pumpkin Seed and Chickpea Salad
Mushroom, Kale and Rosemary Pizza
- pita bread
- tomato paste
- red onion
- swiss brown mushrooms
- peeled strips of sweet potato
- cherry tomatoes
- mozzarella cheezly
- olive oil
- baby kale leaves
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Spread tomato paste over pita round.
- Evenly distribute onion, garlic and rosemary leaves over tomato paste.
- Distribute all other vegetables apart from baby kale.
- Cover pizza in grated mozzarella cheezly.
- In a small bowl, coat baby kale leaves in a little olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.
- Place baby kale atop pizza.
- Put pizza into the oven until cooked - base is crisp and cheezly is slightly melty - about 20 minutes or so.
- Drizzle a little extra olive oil over cooked pizza and top with fresh avocado slices if desired.
Garlic and Chili Roasted Pumpkin and Mushroom Salad
- Swiss brown or baby portobello mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Sea salt & Smoked Paprika (optional)
- Garlic, crushed and diced
- Diced fresh chili
- Pumpkin seeds (raw or toasted)
- Fresh pomegranate seeds
- Baby beet-root, raw and halved
- Rocket/Baby Spinach/Mixed salad
- Fresh lime
- Preheat oven to 180˚.
- Place pumpkin cubes on a baking tray and cover with olive oil, garlic, chili and a little sea salt.
- Roast until tender. This may take between 15-20 minutes.
- Once pumpkin is almost ready, and starting to darken in colour, remove tray from oven.
- Place thickly sliced mushroom pieces on the tray, covering in olive oil, garlic, chili and a little sea salt. Sprinkle some smoked paprika over the pumpkin, the replace tray in oven for a further 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven before mushroom starts to shrink too much.
- Serve the roasted mushroom and pumpkin over a salad of the ingredients listed above. Drizzle a little extra olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lime for a light dressing.
- (This salad tastes just as good when the mushroom and pumpkin are cold.)
22 Carraway St, Kelvin Grove Urban Village
- Moonlight tea (lavender and chamomile & Avocado on Turkish bread, with olive oil, lemon, salt + pepper
- Iced Chai on Bonsoy
They also have vegan banana bread and dark hot chocolate which is vegan on soy milk.
170 Boundary Rd, West End
All-you-can-eat vegan breakfast buffet:
- Organic fruit toast with chocolate tahini spread
- Fruit salad
- Pancakes with maple syrup and facon
- Avocado (not usually included)
- Baked beans
- Scrambled tofu
- Facon and vegan sausage
Mushroom, Tofu and Pineapple Stir Fry
- 1/2 block organic firm tofu, cubed
- 2 cups fresh or tinned pineapple, cubed
- 5-6 mushrooms, quartered (preferably swiss brown)
- 1/2 bag baby spinach
- 1 large red chili, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and diced
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat.
- Shallow fry tofu cubes until slightly browned on all sides. This should take 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili, mushrooms and pineapple. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir through soy sauce and cook for another minute or so, until mushrooms are al dente.
- Reduce heat to low and stir through baby spinach. Remove from heat and let spinach wilt from the residual heat - you don’t want them completely wilted.
- Stir through lemon juice and serve, with or without rice.
DIY Middle Eastern Platter
- pita bread
- olive oil
- simple parsley, red onion and lemon salad
- alfalfa sprouts (probably not very middle eastern)
- chickpeas with salt and pepper
- salt & pepper
- lemon juice
- olive oil
- smoked paprika
- sweet chili sauce
- falafel (home made or store bought)
- alfalfa sprouts
- baby spinach
- baby rocket
- red onion
- Layer ingredients upon your plate or in a large bowl at your desired quantity. Start with rocket and baby spinach, then add sprouts and herbs, red onion, chickpeas and avocado.
- Squeeze liberal amounts of fresh lemon juice and drizzle 2-3 tsp olive oil over salad. Add cracked pepper and sea salt, as well as a small portion (1tsp or so) of smoked paprika.
- Top salad with halved falafel balls, and top the falafel with a dollop of tahini or hummus as well as a drizzle of sweet chili sauce.
Tom Yum Soup
The Hub’s Wok
22 Barry Parade
Fortitude Valley QLD 4006
(07) 3831 3800
Vege Rama, Post Office Square on Adelaide St.
1. Satay Tempeh, Black Chickpeas, Aloo Matar, Brown Rice, and Mustard Dill Salad.
2. Satay Chicken Burger (chicken style patty, lettuce, tomato,cucumber, Indonesian peanut satay sauce, red cabbage coleslaw).
3. Mexican Tacquito with Garlic Mayonnaise, Bonza Beetroot curry with Tempeh, Falafel Salad and Cauliflower Zatar Salad.
4. Moroccan Lentil Burger (homemade spiced lentil patty with onion and sultana chutney, harissa mayonnaise, beetroot, lettuce and tomato), with Risoni Pasta Salad and Vege Rama Garden Salad.
My job is pretty amazing.
Kofta Salad with Tahini Dressing & Pad Thai Noodles from Vege Rama, Myer Centre.